Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Zaragoza! Part One: Monasterio de Piedra


October 10-12 we went as a school to visit Zaragoza. It's located roughly in north-central Spain (I think...correct me if I'm wrong, Little Miss Information Jennifer :P) However, before we actually got to the city, we stopped for several hours at the Monasterio de Piedra. This place was absolutely gorgeous!! Originally a castle for the Moors, it then was changed into a monastery that made vine (yeah, figure that one out) and also, was the first place that chocolate was processed in Spain way back when (mmmm....chocolate). Speaking of chocolate, at a truck stop on the way there, I saw a bar of Lindt chocolate that was 99% cacao. And I would have boughten it if it hadn't been so darn expensive and if I hadn't been on my way to a festival. Back to the monastery. Surrounding the monastery is a park that has waterfalls galore. It was simply amazing. And since I can't really describe it's beauty, I'll give you some pictures so you can get an idea of what it looked like (like always, for more pics, go to picasaweb.google.com/dodobanana). Breathtaking huh? It was also cool how they had the path system set up. You wandered your way through the park climbing up to the top of waterfalls and going down through tunnels and over bridges and through Lothlorien-like woods (appropriate since it's in the Aragon region) and I loved it. The only problem was I almost died on these slippery stairs. The park also has a fish hatchery that it looks like it is used similarly to the MK Nature Center in Boise. And being the naughty college students that we are, Sharon and I followed Adelin through a gate in the fence and pet the fish. While the gate wasn't locked, the fence was definitely there to keep visitors out. Oops. :P Since we were busy playing with the fish and trying to feed them crackers and bread, we ended up being late for the tour through the monastery itself and almost got left behind. But thanks to some fast walking, we were only a little late and we ended up not being the only ones late either. The monastery was almost as cool as the park. Parts of it the owners (the monastery's owned by a private family) were letting disintegrate as nature took its course. Or at least that's what I'm assuming was happening. Other parts had been restored and turned into a museum for the wine production that used to take place there. I've said it before but I'll say it again. I love the ancient architecture of Europe!!! It's so freaking cool! I could take a million pictures of arches and columns and soaring ceilings. Muy guay. Oh and here's a pic of me with a possible relative: Christy Fenton. Do you have any clue, Mom if Grandpa had any relatives (like brothers of his dad?) who ended up in New Jersey?

2 comments:

Jacque said...

que guay indeed. but, ew, you pet the fish? i am totally jealous (i am sensing a trend in my comments here) - nunca fuimos a zaragoza, o el monestario de piedra tampoco.

oh, y como puedes ver, he decidido(?) que necesito practicar mas, entonces voy a escribir algunos partes de mis commentarios en espanol. mas o menos los partes que puedo. los otros, voy a escribir en good ol' ingles. hehe. te echo de menos!

Leise said...

I want that bar of chocolate. :(