Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Firsts

“First day of school! First day of school! First day of school!” The enthusiastic words of Nemo jumping through my head prevented me from sleeping just as they did Marlin. Sighing, I glanced at the clock. 11:53pm. Apparently my sleeping habits didn’t have as much to fear from noisy teenage girls across the hall as much as they did from my overactive brain.

What would the students be like?
How many students would I have?
Would I like them?
Would they respect me?
Would I oversleep and be late on the first day of school?

Speaking of firsts, let me list them all:

First time to hear a tornado siren while driving.
First day of 2011.
First time to attend church on New Year’s Day with the A/C on.
First “real” teaching job.
First Mississippi caf food.
First set of classroom keys.
First office.
First time locking myself OUT of my classroom.
First faculty meeting.

Last words from a student as he left my first class of the morning:
"You’re a good teacher.”

6 comments:

Jacque said...

Haha, first brown-noser too!! ;)

How is the cafe food? And c-razy that you have the A/C on!! Speaking of, I am *totally* visiting you for spring break. :)

Ross & Jodi Giem said...

How embarrasing about locking yourself out......
How hot was it to have AC on?

joni said...

well i didn't think it was warm enough for A/C and i certainly haven't had it on since (there's been a temp drop), but i think it was around 70 (maybe less) when we went to church that morning. it could have just been their method of dealing with the humidity.

and thankfully no one else had to know about me locking myself out. i went around the building and got into the classroom through other external and internal doors. :)

and the food's actually not too bad. just not camp quality.

jacque: i doubt our spring breaks are the same and even if they were, i'll probably be in haiti for most of it on a mission trip

Jenne said...

just trying to imagine you at a faculty meeting :)

Brittany Wren said...

Joni! I love your blog. Please keep posting. Teaching is a fun adventure, right? hahaha. Do tell when you get your first crier. (Or would that be cry-er? Crap. I don't even know...) Love you! I would love your class, also. :)

Becky Daniel said...

Go Jo-Jo! Very impressed...